Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Quest of the perfect Linux desktop - continued

In a virtual machines, I installed distros known for more stability. Here is what I think about them:

  • Debian Stable: it feels like my Ubuntu experience of 2010 or 2009...
  • Linux Mint Debian Edition: I am liking it. It is based on Debian Testing, so the packages are not super-outdated. The flash player and the MP3 support is built-in, which makes it easy to set up. I did have a rough time when they pushed TeXLive 2012, and the update wasn't going through. This is not the first time I had problems updating my LaTeX installation. I had similar troubles with Ubuntu and Fedora, so I'm not going to count that against them too much.
  • openSuse: Oh man! Just trying to set up my printer is a nightmare! You're not allowed to tell me that a package is missing and not help me install it. That's just dumb dumb dumb.
  • Scientific Linux: This is a port of RedHat which I thought would be interesting. No dice, it wouldn't boot after I installed it in the VM.

No comments:

Post a Comment