Friday, September 14, 2012

Quest for the perfect Linux Desktop - continued

So I continued trying to look for the perfect Linux Desktop.

Remember that I've been having stability issues with Fedora 17, Ubuntu 12.04, Mint 12 and Mint 13.

I heard good things about openSuse, so I put that in a Virtual Machine. I quickly got a 'yuck' feeling... I was prompted for the admin password to put a CD in. In this case, it was the VirtualBox Guest Additions (or somesuch). What a bad out-of-the-box experience! I shouldn't need an admin password for this!!! Then, having to put a password for every package install. Yuck!

Everywhere on the 'net, people boasted of the stability of Debian and RedHat/CentOS/Scientific Linux. Those don't come across as being very user-friendly, but what to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment