Sunday, September 23, 2012

Nexus 7 Woes

So I purchased a Google Nexus 7 with the hope that it would be the perfect device for my wife. I didn't have  big requirements:

  • Google Video Chat support
  • Skype support
  • Ability to watch Flash videos
  • Emails, calendar, simple games
The reviews were good, the price was good, so I went for it.

My conclusion: Nexus 7 has very uneven quality. Some people have a fantastic experience, others hate it.
Personally, here is what got me annoyed:
  • The video chat and Skype keeps on getting stuck shortly after the chat starts. Switching to a PC to chat with the exact same person works fine though.
  • The microphone doesn't pick up sounds well, and so the person I am chatting with keeps on not hearing.
  • Sometimes the Flash video gets in a weird state, and it stops responding to user input - no more switching to full screen and the like. I have to kill Firefox for it to work again
  • The micro-usb cable provided wasn't glued well, and the protective plastic on the micro side is sliding off. It doesn't look like a shock hazard yet, but if it is, Google is gonna get a big big lawsuit on the southern side of the border for sure.
  • There is no way I can send an email for support. Google allows you to get a phone call back, but I'd rather not have to wait on the phone forever and a day.
Dear readers, what can I do for my tablet to fulfill its function? And yes, I'm beyond 15 days, so returning is not an option.

3 comments:

  1. Asus, the tablet's builder, is infamous for bad Quality Control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you,The information you shared is very informative. keep it up..
    Skype Technical Help

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Post.
    Patas is a collection of all videos like telugu comedy, comedy videos ,funny videos clips , amazing videos,Telugu comedy videos, cricket videos, funny videos, video clips etc.

    ReplyDelete