Saturday, August 18, 2012

On Becoming a Daddy

So, it is official, I am a daddy.

It has been a year that we've been thinking about it and 9 months preparing it. It has been two days of contractions to a happy ending.

And then trying to do everything right, even though you, and everybody else knows, that you have no idea what you're doing.

Of course, the government book rocks (really, they should sell it everywhere in the world, with local updates), the midwives of the Maison Bleue are awesome, the government's health info line is good at filling the gap when the latter are done for the day, our neighbour is as supportive as she can, and the regular food delivery from our fellow disciples of Christ help us save some energy. And I'm super grateful for all of that help.

But I'm really really grateful to God who helped us in all this - in the way my wife got the governement health coverage a few days before the delivery, in the way the delivery went from "we might need an emergency section" to "the baby is coming out", and in the way that I was filled with pure joy when that little girl was born. It was months that I had been waiting for her.

Now, my life is all about doing shhh, rocking her gently, changing diapers, filling forms, and updating the waiting lists on the CPEs we registered her, etc. I am so glad for the QPIP that allows me to take some time off without guilt.

Marriage is beautiful, parenting is sweet. Enjoy both :)

No comments:

Post a Comment