Saturday, July 2, 2011

Why I replaced Ubuntu with Fedora

You will remember my fanboy-esque previous post about how Ubuntu Linux just works and now nice it is.

At some point, reality hit me: the Unity interface crashes from time to time (especially when Chrome and SpiderOak are running). Trying to change to the 'classic' interface gave me a bad surprise: the annoying scrollbars introduced in Unity were still there (that behaviour will be changed in version 11.10). This is when I got angry at Canonical/Ubuntu/Shuttleworth for ramming down a choice down my throat. That is when all the criticism I read before clicked in place, and I left the state of denial I was in.
What kind of project abiding to the spirit of free software would force all of its users who want an upgrade to use their half-baked technology simply because a serious competitor (gnome 3) was coming? That's sophistry: no true open source project would do that. So I went to the other popular distribution, Fedora 15, which has very strict policies in place to offer only free software by default.

It makes things a bit less magical. One has, for instance, to search a little bit for the library required to play encrypted DVDs. Also, LibreOffice and flash were not there by default, so there was plenty of packages to install. Being a hardcore geek, I don't mind too much. But Ubuntu's focus on making things easy has produced something I hope that Fedora will imitate soon: an installer that will yield a system that 'just works'.

1 comment:

  1. "an installer that will yield a system that 'just works'."
    How about Fuduntu? (fuduntu dot org)
    I've tried it for a bit and seemed quite good.
    One thing I really like about Ubuntu are PPAs, but I don't know if there is something similar in Fedora.

    ReplyDelete